Game of Thrones’ Battle of the Bastards had some serious hype to live up to, more so than usual. The excitement centred around a few things: the tantalising prospect of Ramsay Bolton being killed, the biggest battle sequence ever filmed and that “Hardhome” director Miguel Sapochnik was returning to helm the episode.
It’s not hyperbolic to say that Battle of the Bastards was the most anticipated episode in the history of the show but, according to IMDb, it definitely lived up to the billing. Battle of the Bastards is currently sitting pretty with a perfect 10/10 rating on IMDB’s hallowed voting system, from an impressive 53,000 votes (at the time of writing).
That makes Battle of the Bastards the highest-ever rated episode, surpassing legendary instalment like “Rains of Castamere,” which featured the Red Wedding (9.9) and Hardhome (9.9).
Game of Thrones seasons usually build up to a scintillating yet unorthodox climax in that it packs the most exciting events into the penultimate episode of the season. As a result, it has become tradition to hype up each season’s ninth episode feverishly.
Here’s how Battle of the Bastards compares to its episode nine predecessors:
- Episode 109, “Baelor” received a 9.5 user rating, with 14,685 votes being placed.
- Episode 209, “Blackwater” received a 9.7 user rating, with 17,766 votes being placed.
- Episode 309, “The Rains of Castamere” received a 9.9 user rating, with 43,433 votes being placed.
- Episode 409, “The Watchers on the Wall” received a 9.5 user rating, with 18,489 votes being placed.
- Episode 509, “The Dance of Dragons” received a 9.4 user rating, with 20,714 votes being placed.
As you can see, Battle of the Bastards stands tallest in the pantheon of greatest GoT episodes and it’s difficult to envisage another episode eclipsing its brilliance anytime soon. We’ll keep an eye on the IMDb score as the votes continue to pour in, although it’s worth noting that it already has more votes than any other episode nine, despite only airing a day ago.